lundi 19 mai 2014

Let it go...

I know, everyone is tired of this song but hear me out! No, I ain't gonna sing it... I'm talking about letting it go... The hopes of doing my 2nd half marathon in 2 weeks. Yep, this is happening. Let me tell you my story. 

I started my training on time, was on schedule too, then suddenly shit happened.. Yes, shit happens! 

Our spring in Montreal pretty much sucked! It was cold and rainy. I know it shouldn't be an excuse but when you average a 15minute/mile for a half marathon, well running long distances in the rain isn't that fun. 

Then, on May 4th I had this horrendous race on trails when they said it was on roads and the shorts of my previously owned SparkleSkirt went awire and the seams split causing HUGE and PAINFUL chafing. I couldn't even walk properly for almost 5 days even with bandages and ointment. Now this is an excuse why no running was done. 

Then, last week while my chafing was ok, I went for a 7 miles run. I wore my new Wave Riders 17 that my sister had bought me in Florida because there's a 50$ difference in the prices. Thing is I wear a size 8 in those shoes. So to make sure, I went to my local running store and tried the size 8 on and they were HUGE, so I asked if they had altered the sizes. The girl said maybe and that they were indeed too big. So I said to my sister buy me some 7 1/2 because they changed the sizes. So back to last week, here I am all giddy to go out with new Riders. The run is painful and hard. You can imagine my surprise when I see my toes full of blisters! My Riders never did thos before, WTH??? Turns out that kid at the local store made me try on WIDE shoes! No wonder they were huge! So now not only am I stuck with a pair of too small shoes but with two blisters the size of Canada and swollen too! I couldn't wear anything besides flip-flops. So again, no running was done! 

That takes me to today, undertrained, I tried for 10 miles but stopped at 7. Ain't no way I'll show up to that half in 2 weeks undertrained. I might be slow, but I still know when to pull the trigger. So when I arrived home after my run, I made the decision to LET IT GO. They'll be another half in August and this one, I'll try for stupid injuries not to happen. 

Have you ever pulled out of a race because you weren't properly trained?

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire